Friday, November 19, 2010

Amina ‘brother’ arrested over Mass Rape

Posted on:

By William Yaw Owusu
The Amina mass sex story which resonated throughout the country, teasing many minds as to its veracity given also the politicization of the subject has resurrected again.

Just as dusts were settling on the matter, a man called Michael Frimpong; a resident of Kumasi who claims to be on the controversial Yutong bus has been arrested by the police and is currently languishing in jail at the Police headquarters cells in Accra.

He was picked up yesterday after granting an interview to Great FM, an Achimota based private radio station in Accra where he gave vivid description about what happened on that faithful on October 11, 2010, exonerating Amina from any blame.

In the interview, Michael claimed he was on board of the bus with registration GN 623-10 which he said was sprayed in ash and was bound for Bolgatanga when the incident occurred.

“We left Accra at about 10:30 pm and when we got to Kubease near Ejisu, I heard the driver shout ‘Jesus’ and applied the brakes.”

He claimed the armed robbers fire warning shots some of which hit the bonnet and as well as the side mirror of the bus and glasses splashed on the driver.
“The driver tried to move but because they had blocked the road with logs and therefore he had to pack.”

He said he saw four of the robbers two of whom were women and the women first entered the bus and ordered the passengers to surrender all their personal effects including mobile phones and money.

“They searched everywhere and after taking what they wanted, they ordered the women to step out of the bus first”.

Frimpong claimed that when the female passengers were asked to step out of the bus, they were all ordered to remove their clothing including the panties and braziers before the robbers lined them up beside the bus.

“The male passengers were also ordered out and I was ordered to lie on top of a woman who is more than 40 years and have sex with her.”

He claimed two females on the bus were spared in the sex ordeal because one was very old and another said she was in her menses and added that two white women who were on the bus were also forced to have sex with the men.

Frimpong further claimed that when he pretended to be having sexual intercourse with his ‘partner’ one of the robbers hit his waist with the butt of a gun and it put him into forced ejaculation and went ahead to have sex with the woman.

He claimed a man who was sending his daughter to school was forced to sleep with the 14-year old girl.

He said after the incident the driver sent them to Ejisu Police Station where they were all asked to stand in front of the office whilst the driver went inside with a police officer and after returning the police asked the driver to proceed to his destination and come back to report to them.

When asked why it had taken him so long to help the police unravel the mystery surrounding the matter, Frimpong said he was afraid the police would arrest him and treat him in the same way they have done to Amina.

He said nobody had given him money or influenced him to come to say what he is saying now.

Police had described the mass rape report as a “hoax”, putting Amina before court for causing fear and panic.

Amina Mohammed, 24, mother of three reported how armed robbers attacked their Bolgatanga bound Yutong bus and forced male passengers to have sex with their female counterparts, including a father who was supposedly forced to sleep with his 14 year old daughter.

Amina was picked up on Saturday, October 30, 2010 by the Police together with the reporter who broke the story on Adom FM to assist in investigations.

The reporter was released after several hours of interrogation but Amina was detained and finally charged on Tuesday November 2 for publishing false information to cause fear and panic and deceit of a public officer.

After initially being denied bail, she was eventually granted bail by a Human Rights Court in Accra on Friday November 5 in the sum of GH¢5,000 with one surety.

No comments: