Tuesday, December 07, 2010

My Girlfriend Unzipped Me – Ex-MP Tells Court



Narteley Nettey Yirenkyiwaa is the estrange girlfriend of the Ex-Minister

Posted on: dailyguideghana.com

By William Yaw Owusu

JAWS DROPPED at an Accra Fast Track High Court yesterday when J.B. Danquah-Adu, former MP for Abuakwa North and deputy Minister for Women and Children’s Affairs under the erstwhile Kufuor administration, gave vivid description of how his 24 year old estranged girlfriend unzipped his trousers allegedly to get two other guys to rob him.

Narteley Nettey Yirenkyiwaa, the ex-Minister’s girlfriend is standing trial together with Charles Antwi and Nana Yaw Ampaw, the police say the three conspired to rob the JB at East Legon apartment of the lady on August 26, 2010.

The three have pleaded not guilty to three counts of conspiracy, causing harm and robbery and are still in police custody.

Led in evidence by Paul Asibi Abariga, a State Attorney, Mr. Adu had told the court presided over by Justice Mustapha Habib Logoh, among other things that the accused person’s actions on that fateful day showed clearly that they had intended to either ‘kill’ or ‘harm’ and ‘rob’ him whilst he was in the bedroom of Yirenkyiwaa.

Cross-examined by Addo Attuah counsel for Yirenkyiwaa, the former MP said “I was in my trousers and my shirt and shoes and AI (Yirenkyiwaa) unzipped me and as the trousers fell down at that point I saw the doors swung open and I heard the sound of a click of camera.”

“It was at that point that I tried to bring my trousers up to cover my nakedness but they tried to remove it.”

Counsel: This story about your trousers being forcibly removed is not what you told the court in your evidence-in-chief

JB: I am stating that it was what actually happened.

Counsel: You seem to be changing your story every now and then as we go on this matter

JB: I am not changing my story. It is the same as I have said.

Counsel: You are not being a credible witness

JB: I am a very credible witness.

Counsel: It was whilst you were on the bed that you heard the click sound of a camera

JB: That is not the case

Counsel: I am suggesting to you that when you heard the click sound of the camera you jumped towards A2 (Antwi) who was holding it because you wanted to wrestle the camera from him.

JB: They rather attacked me, pushed me into the bed and forcibly removed my trousers which was containing GH¢ 1,000

Counsel: I am also suggesting to you that in your attempt to price the camera from A2’s hand there was a struggle.

JB: I did not…They attacked me with their knives

Counsel: There was a knife lying on a table which you tried to reach

JB: That is not correct

Counsel: A2 then grabbed the knife first

JB: That is not the case

Counsel: It was in the course of the struggle that you sustained that slight injury on your hand

JB: That was not the case…They swung the knife on my head and I parried it with my hand.
The former MP disagreed with counsel that the injury he sustained was purely accidental saying it was intentional.

Counsel: Apart from the injury, you never sustained any other injury in your testimony to this court

JBs: That was the only injury I sustained.

He told the court that he would not know whether or not Antwi and Ampaw panicked when they realized he was injured and said Yirenkyiwaa never told him to calm down saying “she actually wanted to hit my head with something.”

He claimed Yirenkyiwaa wanted to hit him with a chair and denied hitting Antwi with the chair and subsequently standing on the same chair to shout for help.

He also told the court that Ampaw tried to tape his mouth and said Yirenkyiwaa never tried to stop the blood with her clothe saying “it was an onlooker who tied my hand with his shirt and not A1”.

Earlier in the cross-examination, the ex-MP had said at a time when he was being sent to the hospital, Yirenkyiwaa was not in possession of his pair of trousers.

Counsel: She was also not in possession of the other things although not part of the charge sheet which you mentioned in the court.

Witness: Yes…but also as I said when she followed me downstairs she went back upstairs to her apartment for sometime before coming back.

He said the police sent him together with the accused persons in the same vehicle to the hospital and left him in the care of a policeman before sending the suspects to the police station.

He also said he could not tell the court whether his brother called Twum Barimah had gone to Yirenkyiwaa’s house with the police investigator to ransack the accused room.

Sitting continues on Wednesday December 8, 2010, for CK Mintah, counsel for Antwi and Ampaw to cross-examine the Ex-MP.

The facts are that on the morning of August 26, Ms. Yirenkyiwaa called the complainant, her estranged boyfriend to meet her at Protea Hotel. When they met, she asked for financial help from him and they agreed to meet later at her house.

When Mr. Adu got to her house, he met Yirenkyiwaa outside, who took him into the house. They then proceeded to her bedroom where she allegedly undressed him.

The prosecution said when she had done this, the other two accused persons came out of the bathroom where they were hiding and started taking pictures, after which they attacked the complainant with a knife and took his pair of trousers which contained GH¢1000.

No comments: