Friday, June 18, 2010

I DIED FOR NDC ... Alhaji Misbaw



Alhaji Bello Misbaw is an NDC activist


Friday June 18, 2010

By William Yaw Owusu

Alhaji Bello Misbaw, a popular National Democratic Congress (NDC) activist has lambasted the leadership of the party describing them as “selfish, ungrateful” and “people who are seeking their parochial interests” adding he “died” for the party but there is nothing to show for it.

“The majority of our leaders have neglected some of us who sacrificed our lives to get them there. They now ride in expensive four-wheel drives and do not even want to see your faces but we will teach them a lesson in 2012,” he said

Alhaji Misbaw who operated for the NDC mostly in Weija constituency in the Greater Accra Region and Ho Central in the Volta Region was speaking in an exclusive interview with the Daily Guide in Accra Wednesday.

“The NDC is not a party worth dying for. If the leaders and ministers think they can neglect us and come for us when there is an election, then they better rethink that because we are going to prove we also human beings like them,” he added.

Recounting his ordeal, Alhaji Misbaw said on March 30, 2008 his house was burnt completely by suspected arsonists perceived to be NDC opponents because he was ‘deep’ in the campaign for the “Better Ghana” agenda.

“I had then brought suits worth GH¢3600 to the house and everything was destroyed by in the fire. Even pro-NDC newspapers, the Crystal Clear Lens and the Catalyst all reported this matter on March 17, 2008.”

“After the incident the NDC sent a delegation led by Jerry Acquaye Thompson to assess my situation and on May 5, 2008, then flagbearer Professor J.E.A. Mills invited me to his office at Kuku Hill in Osu to give me words of encouragement.”

“From then on our campaign to get the NDC back to power intensified and I was always part of those who organized people to meet our flagbearer and other NDC leaders.”

Alhaji Misbaw showed the Daily Guide proof of his involvement in the NDC campaign by displaying identity cards issued to him by the Electoral Commission as an observer and part of the NDC ballot box monitory team respectively.

“I was one of the men tasked by the party to cart posters, banners, T-Shirts and other party paraphernalia from Mr. Ato Ahwoi’s house in West Legon in Accra for distribution in the Volta Region. I served as an observer for the party in the region and during the run-off I led a team of NDC activists to the Ashanti Region to monitor the election where I even had problems with the Police Regional Commander, Mr. Opare-Addo.”

“A policeman even hit me with a baton when I tried to question why the police boss was not taking certain actions and I had to come back to Accra with a fractured head, all because I wanted to die for the party but I now realize the NDC is not worth dying for.”

He said “I sacrificed my life for the NDC with the hope that when they win the election they can help to make the lives of all Ghanaians better but events have shown that they are there for their own interests.”

“My house got burnt because I was working for the NDC so I have every right to ask them to support me. I am not begging them for anything. When I contacted Dr. Kwabena Agyei our party Chairman for support he snubbed me saying executives of the party are all sacrificing and no one was on a salary. He said this in the presence of Modestus Ahaible and Dan Abodakpi, Ambassadors to Benin and Malaysia respectively.”

“When you go to their offices their aides, secretaries and security recognize you but will not let you in because their bosses will not take kindly to your presence,” he added sadly.

“We worked hard to put them in office and now they sit in comfort and have turned their backs on us but we will all wait and see in 2012.”


Also see: www.dailyguideghana.com

No comments: