Thursday, September 29, 2011

Lecturer Vows To Capture Ayawaso West For NDC


Dr. Ebenezer Kofi Hayford wants to lead the NDC to capture the seat from the NPP.

Posted on: www.dailyguideghana.com

By William Yaw Owusu

Thursday september 29, 2011.
A lecturer at Geology Department of the University of Ghana Dr. Ebenezer Kofi Hayford says he is the ideal candidate to ‘capture’ the Ayawaso West Wugon Constituency for the ruling National Democratic Congress (NDC).

“I have been in this constituency for many years and I know development needs of the constituents. The NDC has been an orphan in the constituency for 15 years. I come on board as a servant who is prepared to recapture the seat for our great party.”

Speaking to DAILY GUIDE after filing his nomination to contest the Ayawaso West Wugon Constituency primaries of the NDC, Dr. Hayford, who is a National Executive Committee member of the ruling party, emphasized the need for NDC to present what he called ‘solid’ candidates to enable them capture more seats and also retain power in 2012.

He said the opposition New Patriotic Party (NPP) which currently controls the seat has lost what he called “confidence of the people,” adding “whether they like it or not next year the voters are going to give them an exit cheque.”

“For years that the NPP has sat on the seat, you cannot pinpoint anything specific that they have done for the electorate. The NPP has not justified the sort of trust put into them by the electorate,” he claimed.

“This constituency is one of the largest and richest in the country. Although you have some of the modern houses, good streets in Accra in this constituency we have also got areas where the streets are actually very bad. The area has been developed such that it is difficult for you to get recreational centers especially for the youth.”

He said, “I am more concerned for the youth, we have to create enough avenues for the youth to explore their potential. We have to nurture them to become responsible future leaders who will do everything to move Ghana forward. If the opportunities are there the youth might not very quickly turn to acts that impede the development of the nation.”

He said creation of employment is critical on his agenda.

“I want to see the constituents, particularly the youth enter into productive ventures. The issue of joblessness must be tackled without delay.”

“I have also realized that even though our constituency is the richest, we do not have a party office. I know the constituency executives are trying hard to find an office space for us. I am going to set myself a task to build an elaborate constituency office. I have already started talking to some members of the party on how to raise funds for such a laudable project.

“I will also make sure that all the wards get spaces for meetings in the form of offices to enhance party activities.”

“I must be honest that it is not all problems that can be solved at the constituency level but in any case with the strategy I have, I should be able to handle most of the problems that may come up.

“Already I am assisting brilliant but needy students and I am going to intensify this effort when I get the nod. I believe that we should use our positions to bring hope to the needy.”

He said President Mills’ Better Ghana Agenda is on course and it was up to the appointees to articulate the policies of the NDC government to the people.

No comments: